Frequently Asked Questions
Scroll through the list or look at the contents to your right
What is a gongoozler?
- A Gongoozler is someone who watches the canals, often is not themselves a boater
What is gongoozler.org
- gongoozler.org is a website which aims to do a number of things
- Create the most useful maps for boaters and people who use the canals
- Allow traders an interactive forum for keeping their profile up to date
Do we really need another canal website?
- gongoozler.org is in part a culmination of a few frustrations
- No easy or quick way to plot routes and find information about resources and facilities on the way
- No centralized list of traders and those operating near the canals in an easy way
- Current methods of trade reporting rely heavily on social media, individual pages and websites
Who runs gongoozler.org
- I do!
What is gongoozler Ltd.
- It is the registered company which operates this site, professionalism etc.
Is it free?
- It is free for boaters and gongoozlers.
- If you are a trader, you can pay a subscription fee to list and update your trade on this website
Do you collect location data?
- Good question. We do not collect anything from non-users. If you use the maps 'locate me' features it uses the browsers reported position and the broswer itself calculates where you are in relation to the map data we have sent it. We never recieve that sort of information
- If you are a user, we only collect the information that you expressly say we can use. If you are a boater or gongoozler, this will be in your 'alert radius'
- If you are a trader, we obviously keep and advertise your location to all.
What do I need to be to use what?
- You must sign up to be any user to use travelling mode or to get trade movement updates
- You must sign up to be a boater to use 'Watch' or to put in requests to other boaters and traders
- You must sign up to be a trader and pay the subscription charge to be
What do you offer?
- Good question
- We would like to be able to pass on automated reports from the Watch section to the relevant authorities